Laser hair removal might not be something you look forward to, but it can seriously improve the texture and tone of your skin in just a session. It’s not relaxing, and it can even be painful, but if you’re looking for a way to reduce the appearance of body hair, this is the best, most long-term solution available. Laser hair removal is available on most parts of the human body, including the face, arms, underarms, legs, and others. The technique is simple enough. Strong light via lasers enters the hair follicles, destroying both the pigment and the hair completely.
If you’re considering laser hair removal, here’s what to do before your appointment.
- Shave around 24 hours before the appointment, especially if you’re getting body hair removed. This makes the laser appointment less painful.
- Don’t tweeze or wax between or before sessions. The laser targets the pigments inside the hair follicle, so if the hair is gone, the laser won’t be as effective.
- Do not wear any makeup to the session, especially if you’re getting laser hair removal on our face. The laser can burn makeup, resulting in pain and temporary pigmentation that can become permanent.
- Go to a certified dermatologist. Don’t just walk into a salon expecting them to have a great laser hair removal service. Do your research before deciding on a provider.
- Take ibuprofen a few hours before the appointment. The laser feels like a hot, sharp zap, almost like small rubber bands hitting the skin. The more sensitive the skin and area, the more pain you will feel. Do what you can to minimize pain.
- Expect to be a little swollen afterwards. This is natural and should go away in about a day.